Solving the right problem
Taking a look at the previous content and copy, we saw that there was a lot of copy, and an archive of older images. How were we going to tell the story of BPF, without overwhelming the users? How can we focus the content on what is important to the majority of our users?
Through our discussions with our client and our users, we settled on focusing most of our content on grant seekers and donors, and a marketing plan built on a frequently updated blog, and a focus on social media to attract new audiences.
More than just design
Every project is a little different. On this particular project, we weren't just making beautiful interfaces or arranging text. We sifted through large amounts of text, data, photography, and studied closely how other non-profits created their public image, and developed a delightful multi-faceted branding solution.
I had worked with Annie previously, and we saw this as an opportunity to hone both our skills. I find that collaborating with another designer helps tremendously in the speed of iteration between design comps, as well as the ability to create a base visual language, and delegating work to accomplish more in less time. In the end, this project only took us a month of work and development time.